Greytown is a country village with metropolitan style. This shopping gem has beautifully restored Victorian wooden buildings that house stylish and interesting specialty stores, boutiques, cafes and restaurants.
This full-day guided tour takes you from Wellington on a scenic one-hour train journey through New Zealand countryside to Greytown. Be met by your guide off the train and discover Greytown village. Martinborough wine village and Featherston.
Your special tour lunch in Greytown celebrates local, seasonal produce. It is a delicious, social, leisurely lunch two courses with a glass of local wine included.
After lunch, there is a visit to a small family-owned vineyard in Martinborough, a premium wine region nearby. The final stop is a sensational shop in Featherston bursting with specialty cheeses and an extensive range of gourmet Wairarapa food.
It is then time for your guide to return you to train for your trip back to Wellington
Cost of train ticket is included in your package.This unique, full day tour departs from Wellington Railway Station, just a short walk or cab ride from most Wellington hotels.
Your train departs at 9:55am but we suggest you arrive at the station ticket office 15 minutes earlier. Produce your tour confirmation to receive your Wairarapa Day Excursion ticket.Cost of train ticket is included in your package.
The journey to Woodside Station where our guide/driver will meet you, takes just over an hour, often through beautiful countryside. Woodside is the next station after Featherston.
Your transport for the day will be a 20-seater mini-coach.
Once on board, you’ll receive a complimentary bottle of New Zealand mineral water and a pastry from the local French bakery.
Your guide will supply you with a map of Greytown and provide a summary of what you can expect.
- A private visit to Oggi Domani, a ceramic art and design studio where artist Josephine Durkin creates astounding ceramic pieces, combining traditional Italian design with a contemporary feel.
- A visit to Schoc Chocolates, offering a mouth-watering selection of gourmet chocolate. With 60 flavours in the tablet range alone, there is probably a chocolate made for you.
- Prepare to be enchanted by Greytown’s specialty stores, fashion boutiques, cafes and restaurants, many of which are in beautifully restored Victorian buildings. You have two hours to independently enjoy what this charming village has to offer.
- A delicious two-course lunch at Greytown’s leading hotel, where you’ll enjoy seasonal, home grown produce, a glass of local wine, plus tea/coffee. *
Indicative Menu/Main course
Local leg of lamb w Moroccan flavours
Market fish w/ herb & nut crust
Lemon & herb potatoes
French beans, broccoli, fennel, peas & feta
Beetroot, baby carrots, pumpkin, ancient grains, pistachio
Apple & rhubarb crumble.
- Following this leisurely lunch, we’ll take you through typical New Zealand farming countryside to Martinborough, a leading wine region for a private tasting at a boutique vineyard.
• Finally, it’s off on a twenty-minute drive to Featherston and its famous delicatessen, bursting with award-winning cheeses and gourmet foods. Our guide will then take you to the nearby station for your return train journey to Wellington. Your arrival back in Wellington is scheduled for 6:25pm