Te Waimate Mission - Heritage New Zealand. Te Waimate Mission House, built in 1832, is the second oldest standing building in New Zealand and is the only survivor of three mission houses founded in 1830 on behalf of the Church Missionary Society by the Reverend Samuel Marsden with the agreement of local Nga Puhi. Enjoy the simple beauty of this Georgian building which was the heart of the Church Missionary Society's model farm - the forerunner of modern agriculture in New Zealand.

Te Waimate Mission - Heritage New Zealand

Historic - Waimate North

Te Waimate Mission House, built in 1832, is the second oldest standing building in New Zealand, and is the only survivor of three mission houses founded in 1830 on behalf of the Church Missionary Society by the Reverend Samuel Marsden with the agreement of local Nga Puhi. Enjoy the simple beauty of this Georgian building which was the heart of the Church Missionary Society's model farm - the forerunner of modern agriculture in New Zealand. The Mission House is furnished with missionary period furniture, and set in beautiful pastoral surroundings.

History

The only survivor of three similar buildings, the Mission House was where the missionaries taught local Maori modern farming techniques with a view to converting them to Christianity. Te Waimate Mission is also famous for hosting a number of famous historical figures who visited, including scientists Charles Darwin and Thomas Henry Huxley, and for being the site of the second signing of the Treaty of Waitangi.

The house was built for the family of missionary George Clarke (1798-1875), with the help of a Maori workforce using local materials. It was erected as a single-storey dwelling of Georgian design, with an attic floor, verandah and prominent shingled roof.

Extensive subsequent alterations transformed the house into a respectable villa of late nineteenth-century type, with prominent front gables and sash windows. The house was restored to its perceived original form after being purchased by Heritage New Zealand/Pouhere Taonga in 1959, when most of the later additions were removed. The building was one of the first major acquisitions made by the Trust and remains open to the public.

Te Waimate Mission House is part of an extensive historic landscape, which includes buried archaeological deposits, other standing structures and natural features such as the oldest oak tree in the country.

Enjoy fascinating Te Waimate Mission and its spacious grounds - ideal for picnics - only 20 minutes drive from Kerikeri.

Opening Hours and Location

344 Te Ahuahu Road
Waimate North

Daily 10am - 5pm November - April
10am - 4pm Saturday - Wednesday May - October

Closed Christmas Day

The RiseThe Rise - Apartment.

Boasting a seasonal outdoor swimming pool and a garden, The Rise provides accommodation in Waimate North with free WiFi...

Te Waimate Mission - Heritage New ZealandTe Waimate Mission - Heritage New Zealand - Historic - Waimate North.

Te Waimate Mission House, built in 1832, is the second oldest standing building in New Zealand and is the only survivor...

 

New Zealand - Auckland - Bay of Islands - Rotorua - Wellington - Christchurch - Queenstown - Fiordland - Accommodation - Activities & Tours - Bus - Car Rental - Events - News - Virtual Tour - NZ Guide Book - Slide Show - Search