Let's get outdoors and do NZ’s Best ONE DAY Volcanic hike over the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. This can take between 5 to 8 hours depending on personal health, fitness, the pace you set yourself and of course how many photos you take – your safety is paramount!
Enjoy a round trip transfer from Taupō i-site (please be waiting out front roadside) to the beginning of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing at Mangatepopo Road and ending at Ketetahi Road Platform with authentic locals of Maōri descent. Commentary of local knowledge and stories along the journey. Visitor transfers are self-guided and include naturally our Maōri blessings experience, FREE safety photo, FREE use of walking poles, and a FREE celebratory cold drink at the END your lifesaver! Department of Conservation Transport Concessionaire Approved and NZ Tourism Qualmark Transport Endorsed for your Quality Assurance. Secure your seat-limited spaces BOOK NOW. Value NOT Compared!
Your day begins when you are picked up from your location in Taupō. With the local knowledge and stories, you are driven in the vans to New Zealand’s best one-day hike by authentic locals of Maōri descent. The earlier you start your day, you will enjoy the sunrise with lesser crowds. Smaller personal service.
On transfer to the beginning of the track at Mangatepopo Road which will take around 90-minutes. You will arrive at the platform and have naturally our ‘Maōri blessings’ experience where everyone gathers together. A speech in Te Reo Maōri is given with acknowledgements and respect and explained in English, as well as singing a waiata song (approximately 5-minutes in total).
After the korero talk in Maōri, and English, there will then be a team photo, first one for safety, second one for fun! This photo is available free from the social media pages and website.
You can use the walking poles for free as you self-guide hike. Very useful when descending down from off the mountain or just to help to take that little extra pressure off your legs.
You will be picked up at the end of your hike in the afternoon from the end of the track at Ketetahi Carpark Platform. You will be greeted with your choice of either a free cold drink of a bottle of water or New Zealand’s world famous L&P fizzy drink - your life saver!
Be aware of the mountains live volcanic terrain and be aware of the weather conditions. Think smart and be prepared and equipped.
Important Safety Information:
1. Plan Your Trip (Seek local knowledge and plan the route you take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect to take) Staying on track is advised.
2. Tell Someone (Tell someone your plans and leave a date for when to raise the alarm if you haven't returned).
3. Be aware of the weather (New Zealand's weather can be highly unpredictable. Check the forecast and expect weather changes).
4. Know your limits (Challenge yourself within your physical limits and enjoy your experience).
5. Take sufficient supplies (Food and water, 1st aid kit, Toilet paper, extra clothing – avoid cotton/denim jeans. Bring sunscreen, wet weather gear, sturdy footwear, headlamp). What you 'pack in' you 'pack out' (bring back with you).