Bring on summertime when it’s great to get outdoors and do NZ’s Best ONE DAY hike over the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. This can take between 5 to 8 hours depending on personal health, fitness, the pace you set yourself and of course how many photos you take – your safety is paramount!
Enjoy a return transfer from Turangi township to the beginning of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing at Mangatepopo Road and ending at Ketetahi Road, with local commentary and stories along the way. Visitor’s care is ensured whilst enjoying the mesmerising panoramic views of the central North Island volcanic landscape on journey to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Transfers are self-guided and naturally has our Maōri blessings, FREE safety photography, FREE use of walking poles, and a FREE cold drink at the END. Department of Conservation Transport Approved and New Zealand Tourism Qualmark Visitors Transport Endorsed for your Quality Assurance. Secure your seat-limited spaces and BOOK NOW.
Your day begins when you are picked up from your centrally located Turangi accommodation dependent on which departure time you choose. With the local knowledge and stories, you are driven in the vans to New Zealand’s best one-day hike. The earlier you start your day, you will enjoy the sunrise with lesser crowds. Smaller personal service.
On transfer to the beginning of the track at Mangatepopo Road which will take around 45-minutes. You will arrive at the platform and naturally has our ‘Maōri blessings’ experience where everyone gathers together. A speech in Maōri is given with acknowledgements and respect as well as singing a waiata song which is then explained in English (approximately 5-minutes in total).
After the korero in Maōri, and English, there will then be a team photo, first one for safety, second one for fun! This photo is available free from the social media pages and website.
You can use the walking poles for free as you self-guide hike. Very useful when descending down from off the mountain or just to help to take that little extra pressure off your legs.
You will be picked up at the end of your hike in the afternoon from the end of the track at Ketetahi Carpark Road. You will be greeted with your choice of either a free celebratory cold drink, or of a bottle of water or New Zealand’s world famous L&P fizzy drink - your life saver!
Be aware of the mountains live volcanic terrain and be aware of the weather conditions. Think smart and be prepared and equipped.
Important information for your safety (5 simple rules):
1. Plan Your Trip (Seek local knowledge and plan the route you take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect to take) Staying on track is advised.
2. Tell Someone (Tell someone your plans and leave a date for when to raise the alarm if you haven't returned).
3. Be aware of the weather (New Zealand's weather can be highly unpredictable. Check the forecast and expect weather changes).
4. Know your limits (Challenge yourself within your physical limits and enjoy your experience).
5. Take sufficient supplies (Food and water, 1st aid kit, extra clothing – avoid cotton/denim jeans. Bring sunscreen, wet weather gear, sturdy footwear, headlamp, toilet paper). What you 'pack in' you 'pack out' (bring back with you).