|Stone Store - Heritage New Zealand. Located next door to Kemp House in Kerikeri, the Stone Store is New Zealand's oldest stone building. Designed by Wesleyan missionary John Hobbs, and built by Australian convict William Parrott in 1832-36, the Stone Store was constructed to hold New Zealand mission supplies and large quantities of wheat from the mission farm at Te Waimate.|
Stone Store - Heritage New Zealand
Located next door to Kemp House in Kerikeri, the Stone Store is New Zealand's oldest stone building. Designed by Wesleyan missionary John Hobbs, and built by Australian convict William Parrott, the Stone Store was constructed to hold New Zealand mission supplies and large quantities of wheat from the mission farm at Te Waimate.
When the wheat failed the building was mainly leased as a kauri gum trading store. It then passed into Kemp family ownership, and from 1929 onwards was used mainly as a general store. Bought by the Trust in 1976, the building has undergone extensive conservation work.
The Stone Store is of national and international significance as the oldest surviving commercial building in New Zealand, demonstrating the early stages of the country's connection with international trade. It is the oldest remaining building linked with the import of goods from overseas, the storage of produce grown in New Zealand and the bartering of goods with Maori. It is associated with the Church Missionary Society as an an integral part of the organisation's supply network and the Mission Station itself was the second founded by the CMS in this country.
The building is nationally significant as the earliest intact building in New Zealand to demonstrate colonial adaptation to the use of local stone, and contains artefacts and displays of its history.
Today, you can shop for authentic frontier trade goods as well as classically branded Kiwiana products recalling the great Kiwi summer holiday and the Stone Store's place in history as a Northland tourism icon. Enjoy an ice cream, or if you prefer, shop the Store online at www.historicplaces.org.nz
Daily 10am - 5pm Nov - April
10am - 4pm May - Oct
Closed Christmas Day.
tel: (09) 407 9236
fax: (09) 407 9246
246 Kerikeri Road, Kerikeri.
Avalon, in a tranquil garden setting, offers self-catering cottages with free Wi-Fi and balconies overlooking the...